Friday, January 20, 2012

Design inspiration from mother nature..

Nature really has it covered, in every aspect of design, be it colour, pattern or layout. I remember one of my lecturer's saying that we need look no further than out our window when searching for a particular tint or shade. I know that personally, I involve nature in all my design processes from subject matter to materials.

It's no secret that global warming and the deterioration of our planet is a real and looming threat to our precious earth and as designers we have a vital role to play in alleviating and combating the progressing destruction. It is in saying that that we need to remember who started it all, who had all the intricate patterns and ideas laid out in front of them. Who? God? No, not God. And I say this purely because I am not a monogamous believer, I choose to instead embrace the more probable and factually substantiated ideas of natural evolution and the universe as a transient, energy-filled sphere of life. This being said, nature had and has all the blueprints and it is only when we look, and I mean really look at the intricate and awe-inspiring beauty and perfection that makes up every tiny bud, stem and wing, that we realize how superior 'she' is to us.

In nature, everything works hand in hand and interconnects as snugly as a well-fitting shoe. Animals and plants live symbiotically without ever taking too much from each other as us humans are so prone to doing. If we could only become more connected and aware of our surrounding environments and truly learn and master the sophisticated and timeless processes and movements which are constantly happening around us, I think then we could begin to grow again as an earth.

As designers we really have it all on a plate with regards to the natural environment and as stated before, I always incorporate as many elements of nature into my designs and design processes. I consider myself to be lucky to be living in an age where it is imperative to return to the outside, the organic and the natural. I love the idea that my design ethos and ideals all pertain to the preservation  and protection of our fragile planet.





So, it is evident that when one is confused, at the cul de sac of a design idea or needing a source of inspiration and motivation, all that needs be done is to surround oneself with nature. Gaze at the sublime blue of our sky, feel the warmth of sand grains beneath your toes and listen to the sweet babbling of insects and birds. Let it move around you whilst you absorb and listen to the tiny instruments playing out in harmonious synchronicity. Trust me, it wont take long for a fledgling idea to take flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment